Tuesday 27 March 2012

Rehab: Core - Getting Stronger Abs

Getting Stronger Abs

As part of my rehabilitation plan to walk again I was advised by my physical therapist to work on my core strength (abs, back, thighs and pecs). I thought to myself 'sure, no problem I've always had pretty strong abs anyway.' Boy was I in for a shock yesterday! I decided to settle on ABs 10 which is a core routine in Charlene Extreme's Turbo Fire series. Well, I got 6 minutes into it and just couldn't take any more; it's surprising, and easy to forget, just how weak you can get being bed bound for even just a month.

The Bus

I woke up this morning (insert your blues lyrics here) and felt like I had been hit by a bus. Now, this might have had something to do with coming off the morphine and going onto a weaker painkiller (Doc said I had to switch to Tramadol to avoid addiction), or it might have had something to do with my ab routine yesterday - I'm guessing it was a bit of both to be honest. Just everywhere on/in the middle portion of my body ached, and you know what? I actually missed having that ol' DOMS feeling (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).

Thoracic Extensions

On the upside my back is feeling a lot better now that it's having a bit of work to do and now has the opportunity to get stronger. I've also starting doing thoracic extensions with a homemade devise (I'll be writing a detailed post on that soon) which basically stretched your spine and helps to correct the slumping look that you get after years of sitting at a desk.

Walking

Just as a side note, I managed to walk half a mile today with only the one stop - go me! My endurance on my leg and lung capacity has improved so much since leaving the hospital that I'll be ready to go back to work soon.

Pedometers


Related Links

No comments:

Post a Comment