Sunday 29 April 2012

Coming off of Birth Control: 3 Months Later

THIS IS A PERSONAL AND SENSITIVE TOPIC RELATING TO WOMEN AND THEIR SEXUAL ORGANS SO I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND LEAVING NOW IF THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR, YOU ARE SQUEAMISH OR HAVE DIFFERENT MORALS OR OPINIONS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED SO KEEP READING IF YOU WANT TO,  OR  YOU CAN DISAPPEAR TO LOOK AT SOME PUPPIES

CC Courtesy of Shemer, Flickr
It has now been three months since I had to stop taking Microgynon 30 due to my blood clot. There seems to be plenty of information out there on the internet and from your doctors about going on to a hormonal contraceptive, but there really isn't anything concrete out there explaining what it is like to come off of them.

Changes to my Body

There have been plenty of changes recently that I can contribute to coming off of the pill, although some of them can also be attributed to treating my blood disorder (Heterozygous Factor V Leiden Mutation). Just because they are changes it doesn't mean that they are all positive, some of them are downright horrible and one of the main reasons why I went on the pill to start with when I was 14 so I'm having to find some alternatives that wont actually kill me.

Skin

One of the reasons for going on the pill was to clear up the terrible acne that I had when I was younger and it did, I only got the odd spot here and there around the time of my period and that was it. I was hoping that when I came off the pill my acne would have disappeared but unfortunately it hasn't. It has certainly got better but I still get a lot of outbreaks on my face and across the back of my shoulders. I'm going to leave it until Christmas so that my hormones can level and if it still hasn't cleared up by then I'll go and get some acne treatment.

Weight Loss

I'm not sure whether this is due to coming off the pill, starting my treatment or perhaps a combination of both but my weight is starting to come under control again. I no longer put on weight for no reason and when I set my mind to it I can lose weight fairly easily. At the moment I'm focusing on getting my energy levels back up and getting mobile again so when I can move easily I'll start proper exercise and take it form there.

Food and Cravings

Since stopping the pill my cravings and lust for food seems to have diminished somewhat. Believe me I still have cravings for ice cream and cake around my period but I can actually turn down chocolate and treats during the rest of the time. Great for natural weight loss I can tell you!

Libido

Now here is a sensitive subject. A lot of people complain that when they go on the pill they lose their libido and looking back that was certainly the case for me. I don't know if it was tied to the depression that I was going through at the time but since coming off the pill my libido seems normal. Before I almost felt emotionally dead (others I have spoken to said that was the case for them too) but I appear to be coming back to how I was before starting the pill. If you're struggling with depression and you're on the pill I would recommend either stopping it or switching to another form to see if that helps.

Moods

My moods and certainly starting to level out now. Although I will still sometimes cry or get angry if I can't get my shoes on but that is becoming a rarity and I am starting to feel happier and more human. I originally went on the pill to control mood swings but as I mentioned above I was feeling emotionally dead. Looking back I think it was just because I was a teenager and your hormones will be flying around anyway but as I've gotten older they naturally leveled out and I think the pill just shut down my stronger emotions. 

Sleep and M.E

I am sleeping so much better now. I'm actually getting days where I can wake up feeling rested, that is of course if the insomnia doesn't get in the way and I haven't had a bad episode with the M.E (mine seems to come through in phases). I've stopped napping during the day I given the right circumstances I can feel pretty good on 8-9 hours of sleep rather than the 12-18 hours that I used to get. Again, I don't know if this is from starting my treatment or coming off the pill but it is certainly something to consider if you're having trouble sleeping.

Asthma

Strangely enough my asthma seems to have cleared up a bit. I have no idea what has caused it though. It could have been coming off the pill, starting my clot treatment or environmental, but given the fact that my flat has a leak from upstairs, growing uncontrollable mould and mushrooms I'm ruling out environmental. Either way, I'm glad I don't have to take as much medication for it anymore. 

Periods

These delightful visitors were the main reason for going on the pill. I suffer with very heavy, painful and long periods and going on the pill helped to control them - a little to well actually because they kept disappearing and scaring the hell out of me. However, since coming off the pill I have only had the one period and that was horrible. I had to change every 2 hours, could barely walk through the pain (don't forget I'm on 200mg of Tramadol everyday too) and I was constantly nauseous. Now, I don't know if that was because of the blood thinners that I'm on or whether that was just a natural period, or due to the fact that I hadn't had one for the last 2 months (and no I wasn't pregnant) I couldn't say. The only options that I will even consider are the coil and manning up and given the fact that I can't have a coil fitted until after Christmas (8 months from now) I'm going to have to man up anyway but we'll see how it goes.

Summary

So there we go, my 3 month update of coming off the pill. I'm still all over the place at the moment but I'm certainly not missing the pill and it's unwanted side effects and I guess I'll just have to man up through the horrible natural ones that I still get.

If you've had an experience of coming off the pill leave a comment and share your wisdom. 

Related Posts



No comments:

Post a Comment